Welcome Spring Hunters!
Posted by Peter Bunnell on February 11, 2014 0 Comments
As March rolls around, hunters around the U.S. are actively awaiting spring hunting season. To celebrate this glorious occasion, Jumping Targets offers the low-down on where to go this upcoming month.
- Coyote - Most states don't have a season for coyote and many farmers invite hunters to private lands to help rid them of this nuisance-causing canine. A threat to livestock, hunting coyotes are a great way for hunters to brush up on their hunting skills before the start of spring turkey hunting.
- Crow - Ohio permits crow through March 8 with no daily limit Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Goose - Opening February 15 and ending May 4, South Dakota is hosting a light spring goose hunt. Legal species include blue, ross' and snow geese. With an unlimited daily limit, hunters are urged to check out this great state, which features more than 1-million acres of public hunting grounds. Mississippi permits goose hunting until March 31 and features a no limit policy.
- Groundhog - This small game is open to hunters until March 31 in Illinois. With no limit, these vermin can be hunted from sunrise to sunset.
- Hog - Becoming a nuisance in some areas of the South, wild hog is legal in Florida year-round and does not require a hunting license. The only limitation is that hogs are not permitted to be transported alive. Feral swine, otherwise known as wild boar, have no limit and are open year-round to hunters in Ohio.
- Pheasant - Pennsylvania allows ring-neck male and female pheasants to be hunted statewide until March 31, with a two a day limit.
- Porcupine - Pennsylvania has a daily limit of three porcupines, with a seasonal limit of 10 through March 31.
- Rabbit - Jackrabbits, cottontail and swamp are open in Oklahoma until March 15. This fast rodent can be quite a challenge for beginning and experienced hunters alike. Florida has open year-round pistol or rifle hunting for rabbit.
- Skunk - Also open to skunks, Illinois has no limit and permits nearly year-round hunting of the striped skunk. Hurry, because this season closes March 15.
- Turkey - Illinois permits youth turkey hunts in the southern area from March 29 to 30, so children can capture one bearded hen or one gobbler, for a total of three this short season. Mississippi is also open to youth hunting for children ages 15 and younger from March 8 through the 14. Some parts of Florida permit spring turkey season by rifle, shotgun or pistol from March 1 to April 6.
- Wolf - Montana is open to wolf for general rifle season through March 15, so hunters may want to head to the Big Sky state before this season closes.
Jumping Targets offers a variety of AR500 steel targets, which are perfect for hunters looking to brush up on their shooting aim and accuracy. With an array of targets, many are designed to improve hunters' skills, while some are suited for personal protection experience.